Approximately $2 billion is available each year in SBIR/STTR funding for early-stage innovative technologies. We assist clients in identifying and securing SBIR/STTR grant funding from the multiple federal agencies who participate in the SBIR/STTR program, including the DOD, NIH, NSF, DOE, USDA, NASA, and EPA.
A complimentary phone consultation is offered to all new clients to discuss their technology and SBIR/STTR funding goals. We then work with our clients to identify the consulting services that will best fit their needs in order to produce a high quality, fundable SBIR or STTR application. These services may include:
- Identification of appropriate SBIR/STTR funding mechanisms.
- Communication with federal agencies and program officers.
- Registration with granting agencies, the small business association (SBA), and grants.gov.
- Preparation of grant proposal documents, including the Research plan, Commercialization plan, Budget and Justification, Subawards, Project Summary, Project Abstract, Animal welfare and Human subjects sections, Facilities, Resources, Equipment, Biographical Sketches, and administrative components.
- Submission of grant application package.
Non-SBIR/STTR Funding Opportunities
Most small companies seeking grant funding focus on the SBIR/STTR program. While SBIR/STTR funding is certainly attractive, it is important not to overlook other funding opportunities that exist at the local, state, and national levels. These funding sources often have the advantage of higher success rates as well as quicker review times than SBIR or STTR funding.
- Foundation Funding: Foundations have a very specific focus on the type of research they will fund, and your technology must fit their mission exactly. However, if you are fortunate enough to receive Foundation funding, you have the potential to develop a strong continuing relationship with a Foundation that may fund most, if not all, of your product development and commercialization needs. For example, Vertex Pharmaceuticals recently received $75 million from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to fund development of Kalydeco. Eva Garland Consulting is familiar with over 60 different Foundations who provide funding to small businesses.
- State and Local Funding: Regional funding is often available to advance development of new technologies, through both state and local organizations. It is important to develop strong relationships with the leaders of these organizations, as personal relationships can often make the difference in receiving funding. Eva Garland Consulting has worked with multiple local and state foundations, and has expertise in working with these groups to identify the technologies that they are likely to fund. We help small companies position their technologies when they approach these groups to enhance their chance of successfully receiving funding.
- Federal Grants and Contracts (Non-SBIR): While over $1 trillion in research funding is available each year through federal grants and contracts, it is difficult for a small business to navigate the multitude of Requests for Proposals “RFPs” that may be appropriate for their technology. For example, although some academically-oriented grants (such as NIH R01 grants) are officially open to applications from small businesses, it is extremely rare for companies to receive these awards. Eva Garland Consulting has worked with Program Officers in multiple Federal Agencies, including the DOD, NIH, NSF, and EPA, to identify non-SBIR/STTR opportunities that are appropriate for our clients’ technologies.
Eva Garland Consulting provides an initial free consultation for companies seeking non-SBIR/STTR funding. Next, we perform an extensive search for funding opportunities that are appropriate for our client’s technology. Once we have worked with our client to narrow down the funding opportunities to which they would like to apply, we provide custom service in proposal preparation, writing, and submission. Services include contacting the funding organizations, preparing high-quality proposals, and ensuring proposals are submitted in a timely fashion. Custom quotations for these services are provided to best serve our clients’ needs.