Welcome to the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Applicant Assistance Program (AAP). The AAP is designed to assist small businesses with an interest in preparing and submitting a Small Business Innovation Research or Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR) application to the National Cancer Institute for the September 5, 2019 due date. Please note that this service is NOT available to companies who have a current SBIR/STTR application under review (from the April 5, 2019 due date) with the same scope of work or to support preparation of a Fast Track or Phase II application.
The goal of this program is to increase the number of applications submitted by underrepresented small businesses and to increase the number of these applications that are free of errors or omissions and are deemed complete, compliant and responsive to the review criteria.
AAP services are FREE to the small businesses who are accepted into the program. Each AAP participant will be assigned to a coach from Eva Garland Consulting who has expertise in preparing NCI SBIR/STTR applications. Over a 10-week period, the coach will provide customized assistance to the AAP participant, using the book Winning SBIR/STTR Grants: A Ten Week Plan for Preparing Your NIH Phase I Application 2nd Edition as a guide. A free copy of the book will be provided to all participants.
The following topics will be covered each week:
- Develop a project scope and Specific Aims that are appropriate for a NCI Phase I SBIR/STTR application.
- Download the Application Guide.
- Initiate all registrations.
- Prepare an initial outline of your budget, and identify all work that will be done at outside institutions.
- Finalize your team of researchers and consultants, and begin preparing Biographical Sketches.
- Request letters of support from consultants, key opinion leaders and/or potential customers.
- For STTR proposals, arrange for a letter from the partnering research institution.
- Identify the most appropriate Scientific Review Group (SRG) for your proposal.
- Familiarize yourself with ASSIST.
- Begin filling out the administrative sections of the application.
- Finalize your Specific Aims.
- Identify references to include in your Significance and Innovation sections.
- Identify references to include in your Approach section.
- Contact your Program Officer (PO) to discuss your Specific Aims.
- Prepare to write your Research Plan.
- Write the Significance section of your Research Strategy.
- Write the Innovation section of your Research Strategy.
- Follow up on quotations, Biographical Sketches and letters of support.
- Write the Approach section of your Research Strategy.
- Complete the Specific Aims page of your Research Plan.
- Have your proposal reviewed.
- Confirm that you received all materials requested from external sources.
- Write your Facilities and Equipment sections.
- Prepare your Budget.
- Complete your Vertebrate Animals, Human Subjects, Authentication of Key Resources and/or Select Agents sections.
- Make final corrections to your Research Plan.
- Write your Project Summary.
- Write your Project Narrative.
- Fill out the PHS Assignment Request form.
- Compose your Title.
- Collect and complete any outstanding items from previous weeks.
- Assemble and systematically review your final application.
- Submit your proposal.
- Review your submitted application in the eRA Commons.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
You must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The company has not received an NIH SBIR/STTR award.*
- The company does not have a current NIH SBIR/STTR application under review (from the April 5, 2019 submission) with the same scope of work.
- The company intends to submit a Phase I NIH SBIR/STTR application for September 5, 2019.
- The research area of interest aligns with the mission of the National Cancer Institute (NCI).
- The company is seeking support for the preparation of a Phase I SBIR or STTR application only. Fast Track and Direct-to-Phase II applicants are not eligible.
- Each company may submit only one application to the AAP.
* Companies who received their most recent SBIR/STTR award prior to 2010 may be considered for the AAP.
Submission Portal Opens: April 18, 9AM Eastern time
Applications Due: May 30, 5PM Eastern time (no late applications will be accepted)
Successful Applicants Notified: June 14 through June 20
Applicant Assistance Program: June 20 through August 29
SBIR/STTR Submission Deadline: September 5
The application deadline has passed. For inquiries, please contact email@example.com.