Dr. Leila Valanejad Kiefer is a trained pharmaceutical scientist with expertise in both basic and translational research, and she has led multiple large-scale translational research projects that targeted the gap between benchtop basic research and bedside clinical care. Dr. Kiefer’s doctoral research focused on the mechanisms that underlie bile acid synthesis dysregulation in metabolic disorders. She then completed a post-doctoral fellowship at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, where she explored the molecular mechanisms that drive chemotherapy resistance within aggressive pediatric liver cancer. Dr. Kiefer subsequently served as a Senior Scientist at Wood Hudson Cancer Research Laboratory where she led a team in identifying novel biomarkers of breast cancer proliferation for early diagnosis.
In her current position at EGC, Dr. Valanejad Kiefer enjoys supporting the advancement of science and technology at the various stages of research and development while working closely with cutting edge small businesses. In her free time Dr. Kiefer enjoys volunteering, dancing, and spending time with her family, friends, husband and son.
- Medical Devices
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Scientific Consultant, Eva Garland Consulting
- Senior Staff Scientist, Wood Hudson Cancer Research
- Research Fellow, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- QC Chemist, Talecris Biotherapeutics Inc.
- B.S. in Food Science from North Carolina State University
- M.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences from North Carolina Central University
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences from University of Rhode Island